- Must be approachable and have a good relationship with all children.
- A positive role model and have a good attitude towards learning and playing sports.
- Be a good team member and confident to lead activities.
- Able to engage and inspire others.
- Must be organised and a good timekeeper.
Regular training alongside AM Sports coaches and the PE lead aims to build our ambassadors leadership skills and as a result they are empowered to take on the following roles:
- Organise and lead games during lunch breaks, promoting inclusive physical activity and intra competition events.
- Be a representative for the rest of the school to put ideas forward.
- Ensure that the school sports notice board is up to date with intra-competition results and enrichment opportunities.
- Take responsibility for the clubroom and help create displays that showcase all of the school’s achievements.
- Regular meetings to gather and discuss pupil voice opportunities.
- Be a supportive role to teachers during PE lessons and sports day.
- Take responsibility and organise the playground equipment at the end of break time.
Sports Ambassadors 2022/2023
Our group of 9 sports ambassadors have worked extremely hard this year to promote physical activity at Scargill. They have been coached as mini leaders to run inclusive lunchtime games and challenges that develop fair play and sportsmanship. They have carried out pupil questionnaires to investigate what extracurricular clubs’ children would like to see at Scargill. During lunchtime activities, they chose children who displayed determination, teamwork, self-belief, honesty, passion or respect and presented them with a Spirit of the Games certificate in worship.
Our Sports and Eco ambassadors collaborated on a whole school project by taking part in the Get Set to Eat Fresh’s Design a Lorry Competition! Competition challenged young people aged 5–14 to get creative and design an Aldi lorry that inspires people to enjoy healthy, sustainable food. The winning design will be selected by a judging panel from Aldi, Team GB and Paralympics GB. By taking part in the competition, our students have the chance to see their designs come to life with the three winning designs each used on their own Aldi lorry. We received over 90 entries and can’t wait to find out if one of our designs has been chosen as a winner!
During the week of the 19th-25th June 2023, the ambassadors asked the school community to Tweet using the hashtag #PledgeToPlay or email photos of them being active outside of the classroom to meet their 30 minutes a day. From dog walking, biking, outdoor adventurous activities, horse-riding to sports club achievements, we saw it all! The photos send in were used to create a display outside the clubroom that celebrates and supports our schools love of PE and physical activity.
We are very proud of our sports ambassador team and have nominated them for a Blue Peter Sports Badge for all their efforts. When they arrive, the badges will be presented during whole school celebration worship.